ONLINE COPY OF THIS LAW IS FREE. PDF AVAILABLE FOR N2000. PDF COMPENDIUM OF ALL LAWS/CATEGORIES ALSO AVAILABLE Email: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org or Text: +234 706 710 2097
NIGERIAN CORRECTIONAL SERVICE ACT, 2019
|DOWNLOAD PDF COPY OF THIS LAW (N2000)|
This Act repeals the Prison Act Cap. P29, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004 and enacts the Nigerian Correctional Service Act to address new issues that are not covered under the repealed Act and provide clear rules setting out obligations of the Nigerian Correctional Service and the rights of inmates.
NIGERIAN CORRECTIONAL SERVICES
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Establishment of Nigerian Correctional Service.
2. Objectives of the Act.
3. Appointment of Controller-General of Correctional Service.
4. Powers, duties and functions of the Controller-General.
5. Power to delegate.
6. Removal of Controller-General.
7. Appointment and removal of Deputy Controllers-General .
8. Structural of Correctional Service.
PART I – CUSTODIAL SERVICE
9. Establishment and classification of Custodial Service.
10. Functions of the Custodial Service.
12. Custody of inmates.
13. Documentation of inmates.
14. Reformation and rehabilitation of inmates.
15. Inmate labour.
16. Transfer of inmates.
17. Production of inmates before a court.
18. Detention of awaiting trial persons.
19. Transportation of inmates upon discharge.
20. Use of firearms.
21. Visitors and inspection of Custodial Centres.
22. Functions of visitors of Custodial Centre.
23. Healthcare services in Custodial Centres.
24. Mental health of inmates.
25. Removal of sick inmates to the hospital.
26. Correctional Officers Reward Fund.
27. Staff training.
28. Security of Custodial Centres.
29. Acts detrimental to the security of Custodial Centres.
30. Inmates ration and welfare.
31. Escape of an inmate.
32. Inmates serious bodily injury and death in custody.
33. Power to make regulations and standing orders.
34. Female inmates.
35. Juvenile offenders.
36. Legal action against Correctional Service.
PART II – NIGERIAN BIB-CUSTODIAL SERVICE
37. The functions of National Committee on Non-Custodial Measures.
38. Regulations and guidelines.
39. Regulations and guidelines.
42. Community service.
43. Restorative justice measures.
44. Funding of non-custodial measures.
45. Repeal of Cap. P29, LFN, 2004.
NIGERIAN CORRECTIONAL SERVICE ACT 2019
An Act to repeal the Prison Act Cap. P29, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004 and enact the Nigerian Correctional Service Act to make provision for the administration of prisons and non-custodial measures in Nigeria; and for related matters
ENACTED by the National Assembly of the Federal Republic of Nigeria…
ALPHABETICAL INDEX TO THE LAWS OF NIGERIA (UPDATED)