ONLINE COPY OF THIS LAW IS FREE. PDF IS AVAILABLE FOR N1,500 DOWNLOAD HERE. . PDF COMPENDIUM OF ALL LAWS/CATEGORIES ALSO AVAILABLE Email: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org or Text: +234 706 710 2097
|DOWNLOAD PDF COPY OF THIS LAW (N1,500)|
IMMIGRATION ACT, 2015
This Act [which repeals Immigration Act, Cap. I1, LFN, 2004, and the Passport (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, Cap. P1, LFN, 2004]. sets out the provisions for matters relating to immigration, passports, visas, resident permits, work permits, and the prohibition of smuggling of migrants into and from Nigeria, and for the protection of and provision of remedies and assistance to, objects of smuggling of migrants offences in Nigeria.
This Act also gives effect in the Federal Republic of Nigeria to the provisions of the Protocol Against the Smuggling of Migrants by Land, Sea and Air, supplementing the United Nations Convention Against Transnational Organised Crime.
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
PART I – ESTABLISHMENT, STRUCTURE AND FUNCTIONS OF THE NIGERIA IMMIGRATION SERVICE, THE APPOINTMENT AND DUTIES OF IMMIGRATION OFFICERS
1. Establishment of Nigeria Immigration Service.
2. General duties of the Immigration Service.
3. Appointment of Immigration Officers.
4. Oaths and Declarations to be taken by officers on appointment.
5. Appointment of Medical Inspectors.
6. Command Structure of the Service.
7. Duties of the Deputy Comptroller-General of Immigration.
8. Duties of Assistant Comptroller-General of Immigration.
PART II – PASSPORTS AND PASSPORTS OFFENCES
9. Power to issue, procedure for the issuance, and types of Nigeria passport.
10. Certain offences in respect of passports.
11. Liability of a recommender or guarantor signing application containing false declaration.
12. A non-Nigerian citizen and penalties for such non-Nigerian offenders.
13. Cancellation or withdrawal of passports, etc
PART III – ENTRY INTO AND DEPARTURE FROM NIGERIA
14. Persons liable to examination.
15. Examination of persons entering or leaving Nigeria.
16. Passenger list (manifest) and medical examination.
17. Production of travel document.
18. Entry requirements.
19. Power to refuse entry or to admit into Nigeria
20. Visa requirements and conditions and power to issue visa.
21. Control of visitors and transit passengers.
22. Power to exempt from certain entry requirements.
23. Power to board Ships etc.
24. Recognition of ports of entry etc.
25. Arrival elsewhere other than at a recognized port.
PART IV CONTROL OF CREWS AND STOWAWAYS
26. Control of immigrants entering Nigeria by inland waters.
27. Removal of immigrant where entry is refused.
28. Determination of Nationality in special cases.
29. Power to abolish or suspend Visa requirement
30. Power to prescribe entry conditions and fees.
31. Power to prohibit departure.
32. General Provisions as to detained persons.
33. Application of the Act to young persons.
34. Admission of mentally ill or mentally subnormal persons.
35. Application of the Act to cases of dual Nationality.
PART V RESIDENCE AND EMPLOYMENT OF FOREIGN NATIONALS IN NIGERIA
36. Entry for business purposes.
37. Residence permit
38. Employment of immigrants
39. Revocation or variation of permit.
PART VI – CONTROL OF CREW AND STOWAWAYS
40. Examination of Crew.
41. Control of Crew members in ships, Aircrafts, etc.
43. Discharge of crew in Nigeria
PART VII – DEPORTATION
44. Prohibited Immigrants
45. Deportation Order in Special Cases
46. Power of the Court to recommend Deportation on conviction
47. Deportation Order on recommendation by the Court
48. Court cases involving deportation to be accorded priority
49. Removal of persons subject to deportation order
50. Screening of persons liable to deportation
51. Offences in connection with deportation order
52. Power to notify cases especially liable to deportation
53. Power to detain in lieu of deportation
54. Liability of master of a ship and captain of an aircraft, etc. for cost of deportation
55. Power to appoint receiver, etc., where owner is deported.
56. Offences in connection with control of immigrants
57. Offences by individuals and penalties
58. Offences by immigrants employers and workers
59. Offence of alteration and travel documents
60. General penalties, proceedings, etc.
PART IX – ESTABLISHMENT OF DIRECTORATE OF MIGRATION AND THE DIVISION OF REGULAR AND IRREGULAR MIGRATION AND THE POWER AND FUNCTIONS OF
61. Establishment of the Directorate of Migration and Divisions of Regular and Irregular Migration.
62. Powers and functions of the division of irregular migration.
63. Special powers of the Division.
PART X PROHIBITION 0F SMUGGLING OF MIGRANTS
64. Prohibition of smuggling of migrants.
PART XI – SMUGGLING OF MIGRANTS OFFENCES
65. Offence relating to smuggling of migrants
66. Abuse of the vulnerability of a smuggled person.
67. Offences relating to enabling illegal residence. ·
68. Offences relating to procurement, etc., of fraudulent travel or identity documents.
69. Penalty for an offence under another relevant law committed for the purpose of enabling the smuggling of a migrant.
70. Organising or directing, participating, aiding and abetting, and preparatory acts.
71. Conspiracy to commit an offence.
72. Attempt to commit an offence.
73. Escape or aiding and abetting escape.
74. Tampering with evidence and witness, and obstruction of justice.
75. Consent of an object of an offence.
PART XII – RESTITUTION AND COMPENSATION
76. Restitution to smuggled persons.
78. Enforcement of restitution or compensation orders.
79. Appeal against order of restitution of compensation.
80. State compensation to objects of smuggling of migrants offences.
PART XIII – SEIZURE, ATTACHMENT AND FORFEITURE OF ASSETS
81. Forfeiture of passport.
82. Forfeiture of assets after conviction,
83. Seizure of property of arrested persons.
84. Property within Nigeria subject to forfeiture.
85. Forfeiture of foreign assets.
86. Seizure of property subject to forfeiture.
87. Investigation of assets and property of an arrested person.
88. Disclosure of assets and properties by an arrested person.
89. Interim attachment order after seizure of property.
90. Final order of Forfeiture.
91. Disposal of forfeited properties.
92. Offences in relation to forfeiture orders.
93. Consequences of an acquittal in respect of confiscated assets and properties.
94. Freezing order on banks or other financial institutions.
PART XIV – MIGRANT REMEDY WITHOUT CRIMINAL CONVICTION
95. Migrant’s civil remedy.
PART XV – JURISDICTION
96. Jurisdiction to try immigration and smuggling of migrants matters.
PART XVI – OBJECTS OF SMUGGLING OF MIGRANTS TRUST FUND
97. Establishment and management of objects of smuggled illegals trust fund
PART XVII – TREATMENT OF SMUGGLED MIGRANTS
98. Treatment of smuggled Illegals
99. Non-detention or prosecution of smuggled person
100. Establishment of transit shelters
PART XVIII – PROTECTION OF INFORMATION, INFORMANTS AND WITNESSES
101. Protection of information, informants and witnesses
PART XIX – MISCELLANEOUS AND SUPPLEMENTAL PROVISIONS
102. Public Private Partnership and Sharing Formula
104. Burden of Proof
105. Offences by a body corporate.
106. Criminal responsibility of ships and airlines operators, tour operators and operators of travel agencies.
107. Evidence as to orders.
108. Application of certain enactments
109. Restriction on legal proceedings against the Service.
110. Restriction on execution against property of the Service.
111. Indemnity of officers of the Service.
113. Power to institute proceedings.
115. Savings provision.
IMMIGRATION ACT 2015
ACT NO. 8
AN ACT to repeal to repeal the Immigration Act, Cap II, LAWS OF THE FEDERATION OF NIGERIA, 2004 and enact the IMMIGRATION ACT, 2015; AND for related matters.
[COMMENCEMENT: 25th Day, of May, 2015]
ENACTED by the National Assembly of the Federal Republic of Nigeria:
ALPHABETICAL INDEX TO THE LAWS OF NIGERIA (UPDATED)